Friday, August 10, 2007

Petra, Jordan

Lina drove us the three hours from Amman to Petra and it was worth the drive. What an incredible place!

















You start out walking through a canyon that opens up to a big area that has the Treasury, which is the tall structure that is seen in Indiana Jones and history books. The city is carved out of the very colorful mountain walls. I've been talking about riding a camel since I've come to the desert and I finally got to do it. The ride was more fun than I thought it would be because the camels kept trying to run and Lina was yelling for the guy to get ours to slow down, it was so funny. We had lunch down in one of the two restaurants in the city and rode the camels back up half way because of the long walk uphill. I'll post many pictures this time!










6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I can hardly look! I'm so insanely jealous!!
Breathtaking in photos so I can only imagine what it was like to see it in person! I'll add Petra to the list of places I'd love to see!
Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

Incredible John!! Jeff and I just checked out the latest and I am also incredibly jealous. We may need to use some of your inheritance to repeat the great adventure you are on for ourselves. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sharon. The U.S. is unbelievable, but your photos prove that there are things you are seeing and cultures you are learning that many people never even think about. Everyone has said this, but I'm jealous. - JON

James said...

You got a sweet gig going on bro. Riding camels even... That's pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

John, absolutely amazing. Petra is awesome. I can't believe what you are doing. So cool! jerrod

Anonymous said...

Hey John!! What a great idea to put a blog on your travels! Got alot of questions for ya about your tripsbut I'll wait til u get back... Riding a camel is definitely one experience I'd like to try.. Fly safe.. Jojo